Brunch and breakfast food isn’t something I generally liked growing up. In fact, I used to turn my nose up to the talk about breakfast and brunch. Then I moved to Chicago and all the fabulous brunch places changed my mind. In fact, at first I wasn’t gluten free so I got to enjoy the amazing Ann Sather’s cinnamon rolls (oh how I miss those!). Since that fateful move 8 years ago almost exactly, I’m quite the brunch fan.
Since getting married, weekend mornings have become breakfast and brunch feasts on at least one weekend day. I absolutely love this, and I love the time it allows for us to spend together. My husband is the better baker, he actually follows the rules. I’m more of the “throw a bunch of things together and figure out how they will turn out”. So when looking at making a quiche, I wasn’t going to attempt to make my own pie crust. Thankfully, Trader Joe’s is carrying a premade pie crust that is both gluten and corn free this year:
This recipe is definitely not one of my healthiest, but it was absolutely delicious! It also kept my high metabolism husband full for longer than normal. He ate two slices, I only ate one and was full well past the normal lunch time. So, this is a recipe for when you want to splurge a bit on calories.
1/2 block Monterey jack
1 cup mushrooms chopped
2 cups spinach
1/2 large onion minced
1 tbsp butter
5 large eggs
3/4 cup whole milk
6 pieces turkey bacon diced into bite sized pieces
plus your crust of choice
Salt, pepper, garlic salt, and onion salt to taste
1. First steps first, pre-heat your oven to 350F and heat up the pie shell for 15 minutes. I took it straight out of the freezer into the oven.
2. While the crust is browning up, cook bacon then use the same pan to cook spinach, mushrooms, onion with butter **For both of these it is important to drain all excess liquid**
3. In large bowl mix eggs, milk, onion salt, garlic salt, salt, pepper.
4. Shred Monterey jack.
5. Take the pie crust out and let sit for about 5 minutes, then move to a bigger pie pan.
6. Place half of the shredded cheese on bottom of pie crust.
7. Then put bacon chopped in tiny pieces.
8. Next place sautéed veggies.
9. Put the other half of the cheese on top.
10. Pour egg mixture over top.
11. Cook for 35 minutes at 350.
Enjoy! This was absolutely delicious and filling. A great treat for every once in a while.